1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discord - a new VOiP application and teamspeak alternative

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gorian, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Gorian

Gorian everybody do the flop! Council Member

CZs Received:
    So, these guys were at PAX and are pretty awesome. My friend and I picked their brain for quite a while about features they have and plan to implement, and the features we consider important from the perspective of running a gaming community. Definitely would like to see people check it out and start a discussion about it here.

https://discordapp.com/#

2. Supplice

Supplice He who flatters his superiors, betrays them. Council Member

CZs Received:
    Interesting. They are another cloud-based service I take it? They don't seem to mention anything that I can see at first glance, but that's what I'm taking from it based on saying they have DDoS protection and TS doesn't.

I've been using GameVox quite a bit as of late, a slight step up from Razer Comms, but still missing some of the nicer things like a mobile app. A lot of these types of services seem to be springing up lately - maybe it's time to consider comparing them and think about making a switch. They deffo offer some interesting features.

3. Gorian

CZs Received:
    Yeah. They are cloud based, though we chatted about them possibly offering dedicated servers for things like LANFest (I got to chat with the CEO and developers at PAX) as a special exception. They also have a lot of things that other cloud apps lack, like defining your own server, and permissions on that server, they so far they don't look at fine-grained at TeamSpeak's. They also seem to have mobile apps for at least iPhone and Android. I'm installing the iPhone app now. If nothing else, I would like to hear people's feedback about what it does NOT have compared to TeamSpeak and I can forward that feedback on

4. Supplice

CZs Received:
    That's lacking from other cloud-based VoIPs? :p It's in Comms and GameVox, though I think GameVox does it better. Comms is way too watered down for my tastes and too annoying overall.

5. Gorian

CZs Received:
    I'll be honest, I haven't used them, but from what I've heard from others, yes. What do permission look like in other cloud based platforms? Can I define an admin and power user group, and assign them to people? What about banning and kicking people? Some cloud platforms I've heard people say that you just leave and make a new instance because there is no good permissions system, that it's more like Skype.

6. Supplice

CZs Received:
    GameVox -
    https://gyazo.com/015e79de6ff31c43bf8562b65b20fd29

Comms is similar and has kick/ban/mute functions, but much more watered down, and it also becomes a question as to if we're talking about community groups or regular chat instances that kind of function like servers - as a whole Comms is confusing/annoying. Plus, both can be set to public or private as far as I'm aware.

GameVox reminds me a lot more of a hybrid Mumble/TeamSpeak type thing with a lot of it's own uniqueness thrown in hence why I've been enjoying it so much, just waiting on some of the more much-needed features as it's still fairly new - ie mobile support.

7. Supplice

CZs Received:
    Eh, tried it out a bit, they got a ways to go I think. Potentially promising, but they are also facing stiff competition while releasing a lot of half-baked features.

More importantly though, I couldn't find any kind of paid features for it or anything, how do they intend on funding the project?

8. Gorian

CZs Received:
    Yeah, lots of competition, but they are pretty awesome for being in Alpha already. Plus, they are working on forming a good relationship with LANFest, Technic, and from what I hear, twitch.

Not sure, I think they plan on selling premium themes and emoticons or something? Do some research on Jason Citron, their CEO. He's already made his millions ($104 Million) on another company of his that successfully sold - so this isn't his first rodeo on making a successful company.