1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play Minecraft with PS3 Controller

Discussion in 'Tekkit (Minecraft)' started by {PR} Liam, Aug 25, 2014.

1. {PR} Liam

{PR} Liam He who hesitates is lost! -Bass.exe Tekkit Admin

CZs Received:
    Ok guys so I have a tutorial for Minecraft and a PS3 Controller
    NOTE: This works with all flavors of Minecraft. I decided to place it in this Tekkit forum as we seem to play this more often.

Just wanted to share a helpful guide I found on the Minecraftforum, on how to play Minecraft with controllers!
    Mainly, this helps your hands not have to be so cramped and weird from the positioning of the mouse, and you can set toggles so you don't have to constantly hold buttons while mining!
    Some disadvantages though, are that you're gonna have to use a wire, so you can't walk as far. And sometimes the aiming gets a bit jacked up.

Playing Minecraft With A PS3 Controller:

To play minecraft using an official PS3 controller, You will need the following:
    • An Official PS3 Controller. I'm not sure if unofficial PS3 Controllers work.
    • A USB Mini-B Cable. (Try to get a long one so you can have some movement while holding the controller)
    • Acquire two programs. MotioninJoy Gamepad Tool and Xpadder. (links will be provided as you read through the guide.)
    • Cleverness...lol (Really, you do need it.)

===============================================================================================
    START HERE

MotioninJoy Gamepad Tool
    Part 1 of 2
    Without further ado...
    Download MotioninJoy Gamepad Tool here.
    At the download page, choose the appropriate installation file according to your system type
    (The download page of the website is a bit confusing at first..)
    (If you are worrying about "Where do i get the drivers for the PS3 controller?" Answer is, I think it comes with the program)
    Here is the installation Wiki to help you install the program with ease here.
    Please read and follow ALL THE INSTALLATION STEPS at the Wiki to install Motioninjoy Gamepad Tool.
    PS: You don't need to follow the steps about the bluetooth pairing because we are using the USB method.
    After you followed the instructions on the Wiki page I provided. Plug in your PS3 controller and the program should detect your controller.
    If your controller has been detected...congratulations, you did it!
    To know if you did it correct, at the top of the program screen it should say,
    "Connected game controller(s):" and then the name of your controller should appear.
    ===============================================================================================
    MotioninJoy Gamepad Tool
    Part 2 of 2
    Now that you have installed the MotioninJoy Gamepad Tool and the program has detected your PS3 controller, you can now follow the next set of steps below.
    MotioninJoy Step 1:Under "Select one mode," click on the Playstation 3 bubble to fill it in.
    Next to the bubble, you should see "Options." Click it to be brought to a new area of the program.
    MotioninJoy Step 2:
    Scroll down until you see "Button 14" on the left hand side of the program window.
    Click on the arrow on the same row as "Button 14" to assign it a new command from a drop-down list that will appear.
    Do the following*:
    Assign "Button 14" as "D-Pad up"
    Assign "Button 15" as "D-Pad down"
    Assign "Button 16" as "D-Pad left"
    Assign "Button 17" as "D-Pad right"
    Assign "Button 18" as "L2"
    Assign "Button 19" as "R2"
    *(When you select a new command, make sure select it under "Digital" from the drop-down list.
    MotioninJoy Step 3:
    Scroll down a little more and do the following:
    (You have to scroll up to the top of the drop-down list when you click the small arrow to find "None")
    Assign "Axis z+" to "None"
    Assign "Axis z-" to "None"
    Assign "Axis Rz" to "None"
    Assign "Axis Slider" to "None"
    When you have done all steps above, click on "Enable" to save your changes.
    You are now finished Setting up your PS3 controller! YAY!!!!1
    The next step is to download a program called Xpadder. (see below)

Xpadder
    Xpadder Step 1:
    Download Xpadder here:
    http://www.softpedia...s/Xpadder.shtml
    After you download and install Xpadder, follow the simple steps below...
    Xpadder Step 2:Open up the program. At the top left hand side of the program screen, you will see a yellow retangle and a small icon of a gray "controller." Click on it. A drop-down menu appears. Click on "New..."
    Xpadder Step 3:A pink screen will appear and you will be like, "What do I do next?" The answer is, look below the pink screen. You will see a row of named Tabs in this order: Start, Image, Sticks, Buttons, Triggers, and Finish. In this guide, we will be skipping the tabs "Image," and "Triggers." Trust me, you don't need them for this guide.
    Click on the "Start" tab and read the instructions. Go through each tab to map your controller(Skip the Image and Trigger tabs). This program has highly detailed on-screen instructions to help you map your controller, read carefully.
    Notes:
    -While on the "Sticks" tab, there are sub-tabs. Don't forget to map your second analog stick.
    -While on the "Sticks" tab or "Buttons" tab, you will notice these objects that appear on the pink screen as you follow instructions. Re-arrange the objects to your liking. To re-arrange, just drag & drop.
    Xpadder Step 4:When finished, close the window with the pink screen and you will be brought back to the main menu of the program. You will notice that all the buttons you mapped are there now. (before it was a blank canvas)
    Wherever you positioned your left-thumbstick on the canvas, you will see a small wrench next to it. Click it.
    A list will appear. At the top of the list, select "W,S,A,D". (This will give the feel of moving like in standard first-person games.)
    Do the same for your right-thumbstick, click on the wrench. This time select "Mouse - Normal." (This will give the feel of looking in a standard first-person game.)
    As for the rest of the buttons. The customization is up to you. Ensure that you save your Controller mapping with Xpadder.
    You are now finished! All that is left to do is test out your buttons on Minecraft.
    Official Forum Thread Link here.

If anyone would like a xbox tutorial I put one up if it is desired!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Tags: