1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space Engineers

Discussion in 'Frontpage News' started by Saiboogu, Nov 25, 2013.

• by Saiboogu, Nov 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • Saiboogu

Saiboogu Reality continues to ruin my life Council Member

CZs Received:

Just saw this alpha footage from Space Engineers, an upcoming space construction game. At a glance, it looks like it's close to what I wanted (and didn't really feel like I got) from StarMade -- An open world space sandbox. I know, StarMade technically fits that description -- but it completely fails to get there for me. If they had made the slightest attempt to emulate any elements of an accurate physics model I may have been more impressed.

Unfortunately Space Engineers doesn't look perfect in this department either. I was dissapointed to read about the number of compromises they made in the interests of "intuitive gameplay." I'm tired of games treating me like an idiot - I'd really love to have Space Engineers' absolutely incredible looking collision modeling with Kerbal's accurate Newtonian physics. As it is we're getting what looks like a demolition derby in an immovable grid of asteroids with artificially imposed speed limits.

Granted - a space sandbox on anything approaching full-scale would be far too large for practical MP gaming (the Kerbal system is effectively a 1/6th scale approximation of our solar system, and interplanetary journeys can still take a year or more), but it would be fun to see something coming closer to realism. Newtonian physics (action / reaction & conservation of momentum), no speed limit besides lightspeed, microgravity from the asteroids and asteroids that actually float in space instead of being glued to an invisible grid -- Give me that and I would be in heaven. Update -- Reading their forums, it seems that they're implementing some Newtonian physics. For instance, if you jump out of your ship when it's on a collision course, then all you've done is step outside your ship, still on a collision course. Some of the collision reactions don't look Newtonian to me, but if the general flight model uses it -- We'll manage.

Even for it's faults, I'll probably give it a shot.

• Categories: Uncategorized

Comments

Discussion in 'Frontpage News' started by Saiboogu, Nov 25, 2013.

1. omeagasara
    wish it would be free to play lol
  2. Sandbag
    I still can't work out how to actually build anything. Maybe I should give it more than a few minutes of tutorial time. It does look really promising. Something feels clunky about it right now though.
  3. Saiboogu
    I'm with you Sandy. I want to like it, but it felt pretty clunky to me. I need to go in and turn off the deceleration feature and try to figure out the building system.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. garler
    ALL OF MY YES. Hopefully it improves past Alpha. This game looks like it has some EPIC potential.
    • Like Like x 1